Java Settlers of Catan
Games expire after 90 minutes, use
"*ADDTIME*" to extend a game.
If you would like to practice offline or run your own server, see the Downloads section below.
This applet connects to nand.net port 14203
Play an immigrant on the newly populated island of Catan. Build
settlements, roads, and cities by taking commodities from the land
around you. Turn a sheep, lumber, rocks and some grain into a
settlement, bricks and wood into road, or try to complete other
combinations for more advanced buildings and services. Take
advantage of trades with other players, or at local seaports to get
commodities you might lack. The first player to gain 10 points from
a combination of roads, settlements, and special cards wins.
This applet is based on a board game that you can buy from the good
people at Catan GmbH
and Mayfair Games.
To play, enter a nickname and then either enter a new name for a
game, or double click on a game in the list to join it. Be patient
when you join a game, it takes a while to load. If you try to join
a game, and there is someone in the game with the same nickname as
yours, it won't work. Just enter a new nickname and try again.
Downloads and Resources
The Settlers of Catan is available from
and Mayfair Games.
The Settlers of Catan was originally published in
German by Franckh-Kosmos Verlags-GmbH
& Co. as Die Siedler von Catan. Original game design by
Klaus Teuber. This program is not intended to replace the original
board game in any way.
Updated 2017-10-05: (1.2.00)
- Simple sound effects for game events: Start of client player's turn, resource stolen by robber, etc
- Game windows have same size as previous game if resized, not small default size
- Re-word trade offers to clarify who would give which resources
- Persistent client preferences for settings like sound effects and game window size
- Optional database Schema Upgrade, adds:
- Game stats: Winner, duration, options, etc
- BCrypt password hashing
- Case-insensitive usernames/nicknames
- Details and other changes: see v1.2.00's VERSIONS.txt
Updated 2016-10-24: (1.1.20)
- Game board graphics updated to be smoother when window resized
- For new players: When game starts, clicking the board reminds you to right-click to build
- Bots no longer leave practice games after 4 hours idle
- For server config, new optional properties file
- Server can set Game Option defaults on command line or properties file
- If using an optional user database, easier password reset
- Server admins can list all currently connected users with command *WHO* *
or any game's members with *WHO* gamename
- Details and other changes: see v1.1.20's VERSIONS.txt
Updated 2014-11-27: (1.1.19)
- New game option for house rule: Roll no 7s until a city is built
- Trading port/harbor graphics updated
- Reset board during initial placement: Pick randomly-selected robots, instead of keeping same robots
- Check client password when "New game" is clicked, not later after filling out game options
- For servers using an optional user database, new config options about creating or requiring accounts.
- Other changes: see v1.1.19's VERSIONS.txt
Updated 2013-04-02: (1.1.18)
- Reset board: Keep player chat text;
Confirm before restarting after end of a practice game
- Chat text field: Word-wrap long lines
- Don't limit the number of simultaneous practice games
- 6-player board: Focus cursor on input field when the chat window expands;
scroll chat/game text to bottom when it shrinks
- If saving completed games to db, save if any human players, even if some have left/rejoined
- Bugfix: Client creating a game on a server newer than itself might show a second New Game Options window
- Other changes: see v1.1.18's VERSIONS.txt
Updated 2012-12-12: (1.1.17)
- Road Building: Player may skip (cancel) placing second free road, if they want to use just one road piece
- If jar client can't connect to server, returns to first panel, with buttons to connect or practice
- If try to start server in JSettlers.jar, but port already in use, show message instead of exiting immediately
- If server's debug commands are on, warn at connect
- Get Practice Game options from practice server, not from most recently started game
- If join a server after a practice game, re-enable name and password fields
- Chat text field: If a long line is truncated, keep the rest of it in the textfield
- Debug commands: dev cards: Send card type numbers with help message
- Server DB setup script: Ignore net errors when running script and exiting
Updated 2012-10-27: (1.1.16)
- Bugfix: 1.1.15 can't start practice games
- If jar client loses server connection, returns to first panel,
with buttons to connect to a server or practice
Updated 2012-10-21: (1.1.15)
See the Developers' Page for a list of earlier updates.
Jeremy D Monin - email jsettlers @ nand (this server) for more details.